Saturday, April 12, 2008

"Gorgeous"

Tonight I will be hanging out with the beautiful people. Really, they're just the other parents at my son's school. Most have TONS more money than I ever will in my life, and I am intensely intimidated when completely surrounded by them.

To counter this, I plan to wear this:

in hopes that all the glittery beads distract them from the facts that I am not 1) as beautiful (outside) as they are, and 2) I have no money.

Swan Lake is INCREDIBLY GORGEOUS, so my plan should work like a charm. If not, the booty-hugging pants and Cinderella shoes I got to go with the ensemble (it's a "black and white" event -- their annual auction) should suffice.

The item we are most interested to see go is this one:


The fish turned out wonderfully. My idea to have my auntie make The Boy's hand the cutest fish in the sea worked, but then again, they are ALL cute! It's a really cute piece. Such a shame I have no money. I know of two parents that have already said they'd like to have the quilt. One for their own child (pretty big motivator), the other said she wants to get it and give it to the teacher as a keepsake. I can't compete. I plan to check all my accounts to see exactly what kind of funds I may be able to throw around this evening, but I am nowhere near the league of most of these families, even though I currently live wit my mama.

If only teachers got paid what they're worth. . . {{sigh}}

All kidding aside, I am extremely glad that this auction gave me the excuse to finally finish Swan Lake, aka Mystery Stole 3. It is a beautiful pattern, and anyone out there who hesitated when they heard the term "wing" mentioned, go ahead and knit it! Compared to the first half of the pattern (depending on the version and length you are making), the wing had a somewhat predictable pattern that made the knitting - at least for me - much more likeable! I had it down where I could watch TV there at the end. And, it's really gorgeous!

I especially like the yarn I used - Brooks Farm Acero in black! It stained my hands something terribly, but is so completely worth it. I did find that the yarn doesn't give like others may - blocking it was pretty interesting. I didn't get the "points" on the wing where I used pins instead of blocking wires - the yarn just wouldn't give that much. That may be due to the fact that I finished knitting last night at 12:00, therefore the blocking was done by spritz-method, not full soak/wetting. I need to wear it in about an hour and a half, so it couldn't be wet completely. I may block it again after this evening, but it's gorgeous just the way it is, so I may leave well enough alone.

Well, wish me luck - I'm off to get primped for the par-tay. May the force be with me.

:O)

4 Comments:

Blogger Pheelya said...

The shawl is GORGEOUS!!!!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

The shawl is gorgeous and I'm sure you'll look stunning in it! Hope the party was fun!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I'm sure you wowed them with your shawl and got lots of compliments!!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

The shawl is gorgeous. Great job!

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home