Monday, March 31, 2008

And Again

My son's school is taking over my life.

Well, not literally. Not as much as it could be, I guess.

They are STILL closed. Still.

I do understand, and I have it a bit easier than some other parents who don't have retired/semi-retired parents in the immediate vicinity, or backup daycare at the drop of a hat. So, I'm not feeling it as much as others, but I am very concerned about his schooling. This has been a 2 1/2 week Spring Break so far. Notice I said "so far." We hope the school will reopen on Wednesday, but basically we're waiting on the county to file/approve paperwork, and, well. I work for said county, so I definitely won't be holding my breath!

The other reason that they are taking over my life is that there is an annual auction at said school. This year, it's being held at one of the historical mansions nearby. For "cocktail" hour. It's a black and white event, and I've not only got new duds, but I've decided that I NEED to finish my Swan Lake/Mystery Stole 3. In 12 days. I think this is doable, but since I don't think I ever finished printing out clues, this might be my version of Knitting Olympics right here, right now. I'm knitting it out of Brooks Farm Acero, in black. It really is lovely, and this will be the perfect event for wearing it. I MUST get it finished!

The really horrible part is, I stopped knitting on it this past Summer because I'd made a mistake I was too lazy to figure out. Not having a lifeline on a lace project can be a real bummer sometimes. And, surprise, surprise -- it didn't magically fix itself!

So, I spent all evening Sunday ripping back to the point just before the wing was to begin. That's the last place I could 100% say I knew where I was. Since I was already on line 80-something of the wing clue, that really, really hurt. I spent so long trying to get back to a place where I thought I'd be okay, but you know lace and yarn-overs and such. No dice. For this knitter, at least.

Here are some of the beads I had to pop off as I was ripping back.

And here's the new wing as of the beginning of Dancing With the Stars tonight.

Basically, I'm halfway finished with this stole, I think. I did a tad bit more this evening during Dancing, and while gagging my way through an episode of The Bachelor.

Is it just me, or has the bachelor gone down hill? Seems they scraped the bottom of the barrel for the "chap" they brought over from London, and the girls just seem to be trashier than usual. An over-abundance of trashy-types this season. Wahoo. I could really care less at this point! If I wasn't too absorbed in my new wing, I'd have changed the channel, but that would cut in on my knitting time!!!

:O)

4 Comments:

Blogger Rani said...

Ooooooh the shawl is going to be very beautiful!

ps. I was told by another knitter that Gigi(?) MonkeyMama who wrote Bellatrix and various others (Fawkes, too) has passed away. I'm not sure of details, but alas, I cannot find her site anymore. Very sad. She is amazing! If you hear anything differnet, let me know! So I can fix that last AYIS post!

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is going on with the school? 2 1/2 weeks? That's just crazy.

Good luck on finishing your shawl in time!

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think today might be the day for the auction. It's 7:54am your time....I'll give you all 6 more minutes of sleep and then I'm calling.

I am actually rooting for Marshawn (sp) this time! He wanted to kiss her and said he wanted to kiss her in the second episode. No kisses yet, but still hope! You are right. I think we need a Bachlorette next otherwise I'm over the Bachelor. The last guy RUINED it when he picked no one! LOSER, total guy move!

4:57 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

you may inspire me to finish my ms3...the disappointment of that wing sucked the love out of me. maybe I should try again.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home