Sunday, March 23, 2008

How Lovely!

My son's teacher called yesterday. Yup. On a Saturday. That can NEVER be good.

She said "There's no school Monday or Tuesday."

Wha????????????? . . . . . . . . ??

Me: "You're kidding."

Her: No - they need to update the security systems and get up to fire codes, so we will be closed.

Me: "But I was supposed to be 'alone' on Monday. I go back to school on Tuesday!"

Her: . . . crickets . . .

I know, I know. Don't shoot the messenger.



Hrmph.


Okay, so I'll go back to the originally scheduled post, which was to show all the lovelies I've been finishing up, and update you on the fun we had before we realized that this is the Never-Ending-Spring-Break.

We had a full schedule for break this year. Gotta keep him busy, or he'll drive me batty. Here's how it went:

Monday - hang out, do some shopping, go to a Wizards basketball game - cheap seats, see everything, good time!

Tuesday - kidnap a neighbor friend for bowling, pizza, Cold Stone (yum), the local/awesome park playground, then drop said neighbor off at his daycare so we can make it to YOGA!!! Great day!

Wednesday - leisurely morning, mom fixes breakfast!!!, catch Horton Hears a Who, have a late lunch, bring The Boy back in time to meet his dad for dinner while I go to YOGA. Wonderful. I can handle this. I am Mommy of the Year!

Thursday - Our "getaway." We head into Baltimore at about 11:30, have a smooth drive up (he's learned to give me PLENTY of notice when he needs to potty), get in town about 12:30, stop to pick up tickets for our tour (more on that later), find out we'd better take the 1:30 tour instead of the 3:30, cause we're the only two booked for the later time. Okay, no problem. We can do this - we head off to Subway to share a sandwich and allow The Boy to run amuk on the ride/machines in the eating area.

I wonder why none of the other mommies is putting any money in said machines. Just letting their kids climb, jump, and sprawl all over them. . . .????? Hmm. . oh well. We eat our sandwich, and The Boy heads back over. He wants a ride on the rollercoaster simulator, so I fork over a dollar. Make note of the sign saying two kids, MAX, everyone seated, blah, blah, blah. . . walk back to my table, turn around, and see 20 kids hanging off, climbing onto, pulling themselves up to the seat that's now got WAY MORE than 2 kids. Funny thing? NONE of the other mothers (whose kids are about to loose fingers and toes, or kill themselves by falling off and hitting their heads on the hard, tile floors - NONE OF THEM go over and tell the kids they shouldn't be doing that! Nope, just me. I walk back over (cause they're not my kids in peril), restate the 2 kids rule, look several kids in the eyes while in my teacher voice saying "you shouldn't be doing that!" and walk away. I get evil stares from other mothers, but still, no one gets up or tries to retrieve/save their own kid. Lovely.

On to the tour. We took the duckiest tour in town. HA HA. It was on the Duck Boat, and it was actually pretty nice. They took an old army war vehicle capable of land and sea travel, and outfitted it with bus seats and a sound system, drove us around town while giving some pretty good city history (I finally figured out where Poe is buried - although the creepiest part is that the church that owns the cemetery actually built ON TOP OF the gravestones - creepy), then threw us into the water and continued the tour.

The strangest part was this:

Now, I know it looks like the driver is sleeping or at least checking to see if his shoes are tied, but I swear he's checking gears or something. Look out the windshield. We are driving into the water!!! No more road in front of us, just water! we actually drove into the harbor! This day they only took us out there and turned back around because the winds were pretty high, but normally, from what I understand, there would be a good bit of the tour from the water as well.

Here's proof that it was Baltimore - The Boy with the Domino Sugar plant behind him. Classic Baltimore waterfront skyline.

Oh, I forgot to mention the best part of the whole tour - see the woman just behind the driver in the mirror? She's got the gem of the tour - a quacker! We all got duck bill kazoos! The kids loved them, and let's just say the adults made good use of them, too. Something to do with the YMCA song. I'll let you fill in the blanks with your imagination. It was Spring Break, after all!

After the tour, we were still undecided as to just what we were going to do. We've been to the Aquarium a zillion times. And amazing though it is, I just wasn't feeling it. I was trying to get The Boy to agree to Port Discovery, but he hasn't been since he was about 2 1/2, so he's not too sure exactly what's up with that, and I think it would be better with a friend, so we finally decided to take advantage of the historical ships in the area, and bought a ticket to give us access to all of them. There are 4 ships (USS Constellation, Lightship Chesapeake, US Submarine Torsk, and the USCGC Taney), and a lighthouse, which is free all the time. Not a bad deal - I think together, the tickets were $23.00.

A HUGE group had just gotten on the USS Constellation, so we decided to save that one for the next day. We went around to the Lightship Chesapeake, toured around it for a while:

then headed for the hotel. That was about all The Boy could handle - he had the POOL at the hotel on his mind, so we went to move the car and check in.

When we first checked into the hotel, things looked fine. Very promising, no issues here. That was at first glance. The first drawback was, the pool was still in "off season" hours, which meant that we had to wait until 5:00 to go in. Not a big problem, really. The Boy watched some Disney, I knit on a baby hat, and we were just fine. Here's the hat that I finished later that evening:


It's the newborn version of the baby hats in One Skein. I'll make the bigger version later, but the baby's about to be born any second now, so I had to get a move on. It's for my yoga instructor. I kept saying "gotta do" and now it's time!

I'll continue here tomorrow. It's about to get very interesting. Or, slightly embarrassing, depending on who you are and how you look at it! I've rambled enough for now, though, so I'll leave with one final picture - my FINISHED sock kit bag for my Hogwarts Pal. I am so glad to be finished with this one, and really happy with it. Not that it was a pain or anything, but I anticipated a different finish for it is all. It involves mail order mixups, some silly grommets, and one confused knitter, so again - a story for another time. Enjoy the pretty picture (and, of course, The Boy insisted he be in the picture).

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is the science center? Baltimore? That would be fun. Sounds like you had a BUSY vacation.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Yeah, and it ain't over yet. Yee-haw.

:O\

6:35 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Whew, you really did need/deserve a day to yourself! Sorry about that... but we have sheep and wool to look forward to! Have a great back to school day.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

duck tours are so fun. I went on them in Key West when they had it there, and saw it in San Francisco a couple years later. Ingenious idea, so much more fun that a trolley tour.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Looks like fun! The Boy is very cute! Now I can put a face with a name! And what's up with those crazy other mothers? I will never understand why some people don't seem to care if their kids are going to kill themselves or not! We had one like that on the cruise- was going to wander into an open elevator or down the stairwell while his mother paid NO attention, wandering around the spa/salon. The lady at our table for dinner ended up grabbing him to get him out of harm's way!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Rani said...

Well since I'm not going anywhere for SPring Break, it is fun to enjoy yours!

The Boy is sure a handsome little chap! Looks like you two had a marvelous, adventure filled time (and most important - squeezed some knittin' time in there! HA HA!)

6:47 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Hi Cousin!
Surprise! Surprise! Yes I finally figured out how to use this thing. I didn't do anything special for Spring Break either. Zack is getting so tall! I won't recognize him soon. I miss you alot. Keep in touch.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home