Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Winter Knitting

The Hot Cocoa folks want to know:

"Now that we're in the thick of 'Winter'... has your knitting changed to match the season? Are you moving on from dishcloths, and tank tops to afghans, hats and mittens? Has your yarn changed from silk or cotton to wool, superwash or heavier cottons?"

I don't know if I knit to the season, actually. Until lately, with the last KAL for the Sexy Knitter's Club, I don't usually cast on and finish something in the same season, for the same season. Necessarily. That sounds horrible, eh?

It's not that I don't knit much, because I do - a day without knitting is HORRIBLE! I feel very cheated when I have to go to bed before I've knitted a single stitch!

My problem is, I cast on for too much at one time, therefore it takes me forever. Robin seems to have a similar affliction, but I do believe she pumps out the finished objects much, much faster than I do. And she's got more on the needles than I do, technically. She's a speed knitter!

Just to recap, I am currently working on:

The "Earth Mother Clapotis" - for The Boy's teacher.
Tilted Duster - for me.
Squarecake - for me, I think.
Sooper Seekrit socks - for SOS.
The Boy's First Socks - for The Boy!

AND, I'm supposed to be knitting a bag for a swap - the Hogwarts Sock Kit Swap 4. Also, I have assorted socks in different stages around the house. Plus other projects I've put on the back burner for a while because I grew tired of them or frustrated with them. I have a pair of socks that were to be for my mother, but are so frustrating that they're about to be frogged! And a jacket/cardigan from a kit that I won at Stitches two years ago that I'm almost finished, but just really don't have it in me to make myself finish knitting the last sleeve. Probably because I know I'm going to have to sew in a bazillion ends and sew together seams. Blech. Yuck-O!

So, to recap, no, I don't really knit warmer things just because it's cold outside. And while I don't think I'd cast on for a tank-top right now, there's just absolutely no reason why I wouldn't cast on for something like the Tilted Duster during the Summer. My reasoning would be related to the above mish-mash of projects. If it did get "too hot" to knit something (I still don't see that happening), I would just knit on a different project for a while! By the time I finished knitting the item, it would be time to use it!

What about you??

:O)

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I do tend to match the season with my knitting. When I "switch over" to the next season is always interesting - to determine when exactly that cutoff should be. Usually I just won't cast on any more winter items in about April.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh, I am so cold that the memory of winter haunts me even in the sticky humid days of summer. I feel even more pressure then to be prepared for the inevitable to come.
btw, your idea for the silent auction... genius. Why don't I think of things like that? Thanks! And I am going to hunt around for other people with skills/talents to do the same. Great Idea, Thanks again!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Rani said...

I'd like to say I knit with the season, but I'm knitting pumpkin socks and right now, it's so damn cold (-12 F) that I'm having a hard time typing, let alone knitting.

boo hoo! I'm out this time on the Hogwarts swap! I feel so ashamed.

Bubblie

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home