Friday, January 05, 2007

Seeking Knitterly Advice

Okay, I have no idea if anyone even reads this blog on a regular basis, but for those of you who may stumble by at random, I got a question for ya!

I'm trying to follow the Knit From Your Stash challenge, and to do that, I'm thinking that I need to find a plan for the yarn that is currently occupying corners, boxes, underbed storage crates, and the bin(s) in my attic! Yikes! If only I could challenge myself to see how long I could go, exactly, without buying more yarn. I bed it'd be a looooooooooong time! :O)

Anyway - I gave into this at Stitches East a couple months ago:

Cool, huh? 100% CORN. How'd they do that?

And I decided that it matched something I'd picked up at the Maryland Sheep and Wool a couple years back.

It's called "Potpourri" and it's made with "a little this and a little that" probably mostly "that" as in nylon, acrylic, poly, etc. Man-made fibers, definitely - possibly with some linen thrown in for luxury. It feels nice.

But, I'm thinking the two should go together somehow. . .maybe just a good idea for one or both alone?

Anyone have any ideas? There's approximately 700 yards combined - each skein says it has about 100 yards (4 skeins of the corn, 3 of the potpourri). The gauge is not marked for the Potpourri, but the corn knits up at 20sts/26sts to 4" on an 8, so that's about DK/light worsted weight, yes? The potpourri seems a bit finer but I need to wind it and swatch first. It's a hard thing to do - wind and swatch when you have no idea what you are knitting.

So, if you read, and if you have any brilliant ideas, please let me know your opinions. I'd love to figure out a good plan for this yummy yarn. I want to do something useful with the corn, definitely.

Thanks for reading!

7 Comments:

Blogger LisaBe said...

those colors are SO beautiful together! you could make tubey, which calls for stripes and would be gorgeous and cozy in that. it's an insanely easy knit and a great staple sweater. i keep meaning to make one for myself--i loved the one i made for my friend so much but never got around to doing mine. maybe this year! have fun with that--you have a great eye for color!!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Awwww, Lacy and Lisa keep up with my blog! Yay!

Lacy - I have been doing shawls a lot lately, so I may have to look into that one - it would be very interesting, although, these are definitely my colors, and I have a Clapotis made from "my colors" already . ..hmmmmmm

Lisa - can Tubey be knit out of this small amount of yarn? I may be able to order another skein of the corn, and if they're going to be stripes, it wouldn't matter too much if the dye lots didn't match exaclty, . . I'm going to check that out!

Thanks, ladies!!!

12:31 PM  
Blogger Coleen said...

I don't have any suggestions, but I thought I chime in and say the colors are gorgeous, and I read your blog!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

:O) Thanks, Colleen - I read yours too. It always makes me homesick for living in Baltimore, tho!

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like a great shawl thing. I made one that I called my "beyond the comfort zone shawl" because I intentially used yarns I'd otherwise NEVER knit with...

But anyway, by using the magic fibonacci sequence you can get stripes to look like you meant it. By creating a sequence that uses either one more or one fewer steps than the number of balls you have, it makes it vary all the way through (and thus isn't monotonous).

Also, those look like a great combination for a t-shirt type sweater (see Laura Bryant), again with the shifting number of rows per stripe.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the ones before me, this yarn looks perfect for a shawl, or a scarf, hats and mittens, or neckwarmers. And I'm one of your regular reader too, all the way from a sonwy Norway right now. And I would lie to say that the colour looks very good together, so I hope you turn out with a projects that contains all the colours. Wish you good luck with the ideahunt.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting site :) You can find more information at :
[url=http://late.net-doctor.org/butalbital-apap.html ]butalbital apap[/url]
Hope it will always be alive! THE END :)



Very interesting site :) You can find more information at :
butalbital apap
Hope it will always be alive! THE END :)

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home