Friday, May 09, 2008

Loop-d-loop

Apparently, when you make a big deal out of your birthday, the birthday fates bite you in the ass. I've been really loving my birthday this year, thinking about how much fun it is, and how many great things happen right around the time of my birthday, and saying that they are actually celebrations for MY birthday, and not the stuff they're meant for.

Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival = my birthday party.

Teacher Appreciation week = I get more gifts for MY BIRTHDAY.

The Color Purple was playing at the Hippodrome in Baltimore? Just another BIRTHDAY celebration.

Well, not to the fates. The fates said - HEY, DON'T FORGET YOU'RE GETTING A YEAR OLDER, TOO.

I chose to ignore such blatant tries to rain on my parade.

The fates rained harder. They gave me shingles. Yup. Shingles.

Damn. Am I really old enough to have shingles? Isn't that supposed to be an old lady affliction? I mean, really. I'm NOT that old!

This is not amusing AT ALL.

Let's talk about some knitting and forget about the nasty illness taking over my nerves!

In a dream the other night, my next project came to me. I clearly saw some yarn I now have in my stash (thanks to a run to Yarn Garden for a swap package!) actually knit up in this pattern. It looked gorgeous. It's been on my mind since then, so I think I HAVE to knit it, yes?

As soon as I am finished with the Clapotis I'm knitting for my son's teacher (clearly I missed the deadline for Teacher Appreciation week. I suck.), I will cast on for this.

What am I using, you ask? How about some Elisabeth Lavold Silky Tweed? And, just because I'm not entirely sure I have enough to make the whole thing, I'll probably do a panel (maybe two) in some lovely Koigu Kersti from my stash. The colors blend really nicely and will fit in nicely with how I see myself wearing this stole - at work when the AC is turned up so cold that you need a sweater or jacket, or anytime at the movies. I'm always cold at those times, and I think the construction of this shawl will help it to stay on and not have me tugging on it like with fancier shawls (hello, MS3!).

Hope everyone is having a happy, healthy (ha!) knitting weekend. I'm off to finish that clap!

:O)

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Happy (belated) birthday!! Sorry to hear about the shingles - I had to click the link you provided to learn what it was, even though I seem to be hearing about it a lot lately! Is there an epidemic of it going around or something? There was a big sign about it at my grocery store over by the pharmacy saying, "If you have had chicken pox, you can get shingles." I had chicken pox when I was a kid so I guess I am at risk too.

Happy Mother's Day!

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shingles and the clap all in one post? I thought this blog was about knitting and stuff? : )

Seriously, that's gotta suck...shingles....wow. At least you got to go to the wool party.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

ooooh, sorry about the shingles. Thank goodness you have beautiful yarny dreams...

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home