Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mary Lou Fowler


2/3/1909 - 7/17/2007

This has been a very sad week for my family. My Grammy passed away Tuesday morning.

I posted a while back about my grandmother - "Grammy." She broker her hip back in March, but even though she was up there in age when it happened, she basically made a full recovery. Only used a walker, but other than that, she went back to life as it was before the fall.

She was a wonderful woman, very strong, very kind, very stubborn. It is very hard to find just the right words to put here, because she was so wonderful that I don't want this to seem trivial.

I loved her very much. It seems very strange not to have her in the house anymore.

Even though here lately, she slept a lot and was very particular about what she wanted going on in the house when she was awake (well, she was 98, could barely hear, and couldn't see much at all). So she was entitled to the no music, CNN preference on the TV, and PLEASE don't watch a movie if I'm awake stance that she took here for this last little while. When I walk past her room, I find myself trying not to look inside because I don't want to see that she's not there.

I'm going to miss her, but I know she is now resting and not tired, or struggling, or bored out of her mind for not being able to do anything. Hopefully, wherever she is (do I dare to believe there's a Heaven?) she's knitting a sweater for Da - her late husband - and has already managed to find a map of the country where my sister and her husband will be stationed, so she can finally "see" exactly what we've been talking about lately, and is sharing a good (if weak) cup of coffee with her friends who have gone on before her.

I know she is in peace.

We will miss you, Grammy.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. She is probably doing all those things that you mentioned and smiling at you too :).

Hugs and comfort

10:38 AM  
Blogger Susie H said...

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss - hope your knitting brings you some comfort, and brings more good memories of her knitting as well. It's really really hard to be the ones grieving - I hope you get comfort from the rest of your family.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

So sorry to hear about your Grammy, Heather. You wrote such a nice tribute to her; I can tell that she was a very special woman.

Cyberhug

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear this. I wish your family peace & comfort. {{{hugs}}}

4:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Heather, I'm so sorry for your loss.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I am so sorry for your loss, I am so glad that you had such a wonderful woman to lead and inspire you through your life! I am sure her love and encouragement will come back to you in the moments that you most need her. And wow, 98? Great genes, girl!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hey Heather. I decided to check out your blog and see what you were up to and I read this entry. I'm so sorry to hear what happened and if you need anything PLEASE feel free to email me! After being my SP10 pal you should know the addy, lol. I will make sure to email you as well and make sure that you are ok.

When you get some time feel free to check out my blog. I'm blogging again after my hiatus...too many things going on but now things are winding down and I can start doing more on here.

Hugs!
Kelly

11:39 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I am so sorry for your loss. You have my deepest sympathies. My grandfather passed away in March, and we all miss him terribly. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home