Sunday, July 01, 2007

Make It Stop!

Why do I always feel like I need a vacation when I get back from vacation? I think I will ask that question probably every time I come back from vacation with The Boy. Add in my parents, Grammy, and a visiting sister, and you've just plain worn me out for the next week and a half AT LEAST! But we did have fun, and I'm a whole lot browner than when I started. I love it when I get a tan and catch up with the rest of "my people!" :O) It's a good thing I only do this once or twice a year, cause 8 hours in the sun per day is probably not all that good for you. And since you have to go south of the Mason Dixon line for the good sunscreen (read "anti-aging"), I'll be limiting my sun exposure like a good aging girl.



We went to Kitty Hawk again this year, although, just like last year, the time-share resort was such a hit with the fabulous outdoor pool and all, that we went to the beach once, and had to drag The Boy, kicking and screaming, out of the gates to go sightseeing two times. The Boy is a true fish, and can hold his own in the pool so well now that I actually got to sit on a beach chair (2 feet away from the shallow end) and read a bit of my book. Now, granted, it took about 20 minutes to read two pages, what with checking him out in the water every other word, but it was nice and relaxing, which is a big difference from last year, or even this year at out normal, overcrowded pool. We had such a good time.



Here's a quick tourist-y rundown of what we did:



If you're ever here:




Take a picture like this:

I waited a whole year to take this picture. We visited last year the REAL way - spent the whole afternoon at this wonderful national park, but forgot the camera (actually, didn't think it would be the wonderful, interesting, inspiring sight that it is), and kicked myself over and over again. This is the most wonderful kodak moment and you need to take a picture of your own kid (if you're lucky enough to have one), or loved one (again, luck is involved here. . . ) at this monument. I wonder if the architects planned this one out. It's too good not to have been a mark of someone's thoughtful planning! I went around telling everyone we saw that day that they had to go take a picture around the corner. The message " In commemoration of the conquest of the air by the brothers Wilbur and Orville Wright, conceived by genius, achieved by dauntless resolution and unconquerable faith." is inscribed all the way around the monument, which is pretty much a fancy triangular prism. It's really gorgeous, and built on the spot (sans shifting sands) where the famous brothers first took flight. Also, when you go, bring a kite, because there's a reason they took off here first - the winds are CONSTANT! Don't miss the opportunity!

This year we only ran through to take the above picture, visit the tiny small-engine airport in the park, then head out on our way to do some miniature golf (I won, thank you very much - and no, I don't "let" him win, cause he's way too good at sports for all that rigamarole! He can beat the pants off me fair and square, so I take my wins when I can get 'em), then visit the first of two lighthouses for the trip. That day it was the Bodie Lighthouse, although The Boy later referred to it as the "Wash Light." Seems that his 5-year old mind only heard the word Bodie (pronounced "body") and connected it in his mind with what was familiar to him. Too funny! At least he's making connections, though!

Even though we couldn't climb this lighthouse, we had a blast there - he took a couple pictures of it, I took one of him in front of the light where he is positively dwarfed: (picture to be added later, when Blogger has returned from IT's little vacation!!!)

and we listened to a talk by a Park Ranger about the different things that wash up on the beaches of North Carolina. Very informative. We had a really good time, and he was very excited to learn that restoration is beginning on this lighthouse, too, in order to open it up to the climbing public. Should be beautiful! The site is gorgeous!

Tomorrow, you will see the other lighthouse, stunning pictures of my sister, my mother, and myself, taken by my 5-year old(!), and the *ahem* new additions to the stash family in my house! You didn't think I'd go on vacation and not look for yarn, did ya?

;O)










2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel ya on the whole vacation thing since I just got back myself! Looks like you had a great time!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I've been to the Wright Brothers' museum in Kitty Hawk. It was cool. I didn't have a camera w/ though. I love your "genius" picture.

Your vacation sounds fun. I am looking forward to mine in August. I know what you mean about needed a vacation after a vacation though and I am sure it will be even more needed once I have a kid.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home