Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Finished Room

Okay, so the room is finished, I've done three whole days as a First Grade teacher, and I'm thinkin' I like it. The first day there was, basically, NO actual content taught. We basically did the "this is how I expect you to do X" thing. And ran around like chickens with our heads cut off! Fun! But things are beginning to calm down.

My students are pretty amazing. My thing now will to be to remember that they actually are only 6, even though they read like they're 8. I would love to follow this class through a couple grades to see the massive, honking books they're gonna read, and read the massive, honking papers they're gonna write. Most of my kids are pretty amazing. Flat out. They're smart. And then, there's the ones that ACT like they're three, but even then, they read like an 8-year-old. Amazing. I think it's a good thing to have this "high" group, because then I'll expect this from all my students from now on, right? I think that's the plan, anyway!

So, enough of the chatting, here's the finished room:

Here are the computers. Mind you, they ain't hooked up to anything - not even electricity, but soon they will be. Apparently, the First Grade has inherited the most amazing room parent - he's a TECHIE!! And he's going around hooking up all the computers in the rooms - supplying his own cables and stuff, too! I love it! I was going to try to plug them in this week, but he claims that by next week he'll have them hooked up, so EVEN BETTER! I do think I'll actually plug them up and turn them on, tomorrow, though. Since Back To School night is next Wednesday, I don't want to take any chances!


This is the front of the room. Looks very much like the last picture, but better. Trust me.


And here is the side reading table and the Word Wall. The blue papers on the table are a Math creation that was drying. They glued down groups of objects when I wrote the number in words on the board. That was interesting, and it really showed me who knew their number words.

I was going to take a picture of the library as well, but it pretty much looks the same, but better. Maybe next time. . .

:O)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home