Friday, August 18, 2006

VIP

Okay, the classroom is ready. The teacher - I have no idea about. She's wiped. Again. But the room looks great. I'll have to take the camera in on Monday morning and take a picture really quickly - forgot it today! UGH!

I did get a lot accomplished, moved a few more things, got the books ready for the students, and figured out that I have the VIP class. Apparently, I got the "high" class - you know how teachers compare notes and give out helpful hints at the beginning of the year. I'm not sayin' it's right, but they do it. The important thing is to take everything with a grain of salt, treat every child as if they were the brightest, and press on from there. But, like I said, I apparently have very few worries. Most of the class is reading way above their level - about where 2nd graders would be expected to read. That's great. What worries me is that they all have connections to someone I know or have to report to. I guess I should be used to it from having the Vice-Principal's son in my class when I did my student teaching at this same school.

So, to take "roll" here's who's in my class:

the guidance counselor's son
the PTA President's daughter
two grandchildren of staff members or former staff members
the daughter of a patient at my mom's work
the little girl who lives down the street and frequently winds up in my backyard, playing with my own son.

There's also the sister to a really sweet, smart girl from the class I worked in last year, but I'm sure she will be no problem. I may have one more neighbor (actually, I most likely will, since the kids in my 'hood go to this school), but I think I may know this little guy. His mother and I went to school together.

Why, oh, why do I feel like I'll be teaching the whole world, not just my group of first graders listed on my class list? OY! I'm glad I got the "high" group, but again, OY!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! This is the start of big things to come. :-)

7:56 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Thanks! I agree. Thank you for actually commenting and not just lurking!!!!

:O)

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home