Saturday, August 15, 2009

Goodbye, Friend

Well, after 8 well-served years, my Jeep has met the end of it's very useful (if somewhat pampered - for a Jeep) life.

Yesterday, I took advantage of the CARS program, and traded in my clunker for some cash towards a brand-spankin' new car. My first. OMG!

I was intrigued by the idea of the CARS program, since I KNEW that I was not going to get a good return on my car. It was 10 years old, with close to 150,000 miles, and the A/C system was shot - apparently a common problem in the 1999 model Grand Cherokee. And, well, sorry to say it, but it IS the truth - it was a GAS GUZZLER. Since I don't drive very far at all these days (my work and my son's school are both within about 5 miles of our house), I didn't really feel the "pinch" that much. But I was very aware that it was drawing near time to put some money into it for repairs of some sort.

Friday night, that realization hit home. I had to stop suddenly in D.C. (okay, I was about to run a red light, but still), and when I stepped (hard) on the brake, I felt them sorta smush in, rather than grab hold. I did come to a stop, but I glided to a stop, I didn't STOP like I needed. Since I was not far from my destination, I went on and found a quick parking spot and waited till the ride home to panic. On the very slow ride home, it was very clear that those brakes were D-O-N-E. I canceled my plans for Thursday, and enlisted the help of my child to get the car all cleaned out and ready (although I think they take them in whatever condition you bring it to them - more on this later), made sure I had all my necessary paperwork, and asked my lovely sister if she'd mind accompanying me the next day.

We got lots and lots of knitting done while waiting for different things (well, she got lots and lots, I just got 1 lots!)

Jennifer knitting:

We are both knitting versions of "Poppy" by Lisa Mason. Awesome, creative knit, if anyone's in that market!!

When the day was done yesterday, I drove home in this:



Isn't it CUTE???? It's a good thing it is, because they told me what was going to (did) happen to my Jeep. The CARS program is intended, partly, to take some of the environment-killing gas-guzzlers off the streets (and give the car industry a boost - both of which are happening), and when they use a car for the program, they have to disable it. Kill it. Put it to sleep (I like this last description best). So, they drove my car into the service bay, drained the transmission fluid, and poured in some evil potion in place of it. Apparently, death comes quickly, because when they drive the cars out of the service bay, they're already coughing and sputtering! I feel like a beloved pet has left me! But I'm also excited to have my first brand new car, not to mention the first car I've owned/signed for by myselfies, so I think I just might make it. The Jeep, no. Me, yes.

Anyone need a lift?

Oh, and P.S. - if you're in the market, go over to Honda and ask for Elliot Bourne. He'll hook ya up with a few jokes on the side, and everyone will be happy. And mention my name so that I can get some cup holders for The Boy, will ya?

:O)

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Sweet. Congratulations on the new ride! What perfect timing.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home