Monday, August 03, 2009

Summer Update

Well, this blog is like no-knitter's land this Summer! I have not been blogging at all, but not necessarily from lack of content! I have been somewhat busy, but mostly it's been about The Boy - as usual and expected around here! And, since I've been forgetting my camera ALL THE TIME, there's darn little to show!

In the last little bit, though, there's been stuff that I think I need to blog/report! First, my family's reunion this time was in Knoxville, Tennessee. If I ever reach the breaking point and need to move away from all the madness in Mayberry, I'm definitely going to Knoxville! I loved the city and (once again) wished I'd extended my stay to play tourist a bit more! The family did a great job of showing us around, though - I think we saw more of Knoxville than other cities where reunions are. Usually, the reunion is so jam-packed with activities, that there's not much time or need to do other things or go other places.

Friday night(s) we always go to a host family's house for a back-yard barbecue. This time we were at the Gaiter's house. They live on Gaiter Lane. The road was closed that evening to ease our family's traffic. Think they have much influence in the area? It was a beautiful house and grounds, and we all were able to find a little nook to relax and have some dinner.

Saturday morning we all were asked to show up at a neighborhood park for pictures. This is a break in tradition since we normally just take our group pics at the family picnic later Saturday(s). Soon, we found out why they wanted us here. Location, location, location:

That's a ginormous statue of Alex Haley, taken in Haley Heritage Square. The statue is so big that The Boy was able to climb around and sit on the book that Haley holds in his hands. This is MOST of the family that remains here in DC. There were similar groups of family from Alabama, Ohio, and Tennessee, and some smaller groups from Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Florida, North Carolina, and Michigan. Hope I got everyone!

Family reunions are about unity, and roots, so here's a picture of the elders of our family that were there.

After the pictures, we did go to a picnic. From there, we were taken to catch a riverboat for a short tour. Great!

Zac enjoyed himself immensely, and was fascinated by the paddles at the back of the boat.

The evening was for a formal dinner, and on Sunday we were treated to a brief word from the family church's pastor before things drew to an official end. Since we still had some time to relax before catching our flight, The Boy and I explored a cute little market square area, ate some great snacks from a great little shop called Coffee and Chocolate (yum!), and explored a little artsy park. It was a great weekend!



Since then, I've been finishing things up on the knitting front. I can't believe how much/little I've gotten accomplished. The Tour de Fleece helped me with my spinning, and I now have 660 yards of a 2-ply corriedale. I got half of this corriedale last year about this time on my cruise to Candada. Now that it's finished and I know how much I have to work with, I'm planning on a vest.

I also finished a cowl that I knit in the Morning Surf pattern from some of my very first handspun. This stuff was spun on my Golding spindle a while ago! I think I started knitting it last Fall during The Boy's soccer practices!

Finished as well is the baby blanket for my former SIL. I love these Patons blanket patterns - so quick and easy. And, it's in my usual cover-the-carseat size that won't drag on the ground or need excessive folding. Cause with infants, it's all about saving time not doing unnecessary things!

I am ALMOST finished with the Cotton Fleece Vogue cardigan that I can never remember the name of! I'm hoping to finish up today - I've got maybe two inches of the outer ring to go, and then I get to sew things down. Yay! Since I have about 4 projects that I really want to cast on NOW, I really can't wait till this is finished!

This week I am "on my own" since the boy is vacationing with his dad, and I've plans for lots of knitting, cleaning, and hopefully getting to do some things that I give up when I'm on Mommy duty! Hopefully I'll be updating here more often as well!

:O)

2 Comments:

Blogger Rani said...

You have an awesome tradition going there - with the family reunion - who plans all of that! What a great idea. . . it gives me an idea . . . hmmmmm.

I can't believe you spun that much. How on earth do you know the yardage? I just bought my first drop spindle and let me tell you - I only spun a few yards and it's NOT very nice stuff AND it took me about two hours. Please tell me it will get easier...

5:31 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Lol - it will get easier. There are tools for winding nice neat skeins once you've spun on your spindle or wheel that measure a certain length. You multiply how many times you've wrapped your yarn around to make the skein to tell now many yards you have. Easy! Spinning is fun, and even more relaxing than knitting once you're comfy with it!

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home