Saturday, March 14, 2009

Time Keeps on Spinnin'

That's what it's been like around here these days.

I spin more than I knit.

Funny.

I think it's because I don't seem to muck up my spinning quite as much as my knitting, and if I do, I just run with it, where as when I muck up knitting, I have to take it out and then reknit. Blech. I HATE reknitting!

There have been some successes, though:

This lil' bunny was a great model for the Baby Surprise Jacket I gifted to a friend/coworker. I am VERY happy with the BSJ. I tried my best to muck it up, but it came out nearly perfect anyway!!

Now, I want to spin the yarn to make more! Stay tuned, I guarantee it WILL happen!

I've also been staying busy with work, of course, and doing a lot of Ravelry lately.

I joined this group that promised to help me use up my spinning scraps (so, at this point, I don't really have "scraps" but more like unused bits. I dug through the stash a bit, got out my hand cards, made rolags, and wound up with 81 yards of a really cool worsted weight yarn.



It's a huge skein of worsted weight sized yarn - I meant to get that big a skein and have it be only 81 yards? The yarn's a pretty good size!

I'm thinking this might need to be a periodic project - yearly? 6 months?? It was fun, and let me see the differences in the different fibers I was spinning as I came to them in the rolags. Very cool.

I've also been working on and considering some Project Spectrum 4 adventures. I started out by spinning up some meriono/tussah gorgeousness that I had been given in a swap (see why I stopped swapping so much? - I forget who gave it to me!). It was BEAUTIFUL to spin. I plied it with some silk hankies that coordinated, for a peach and green skein of lovelieness:

Then, I spun up a some "Olive Grove" Faulkland from Spritely Goods. That was wonderful, too. I spun it with a 'short forward draw' instead of long-draw, which I'm becoming accustomed to, so it was a nice change. It went by way too quickly, and now I'm wondering what to do with it. It all fit nicely onto one bobbin, but now I'd like to ply it together (it's a rather thin, underplied single to use by itself) for a 2-ply. I'm NOT going to be silly enough to try the navajo on this fiber since I mucked that up pretty badly the first time, so i'm wondering how to get it to be a plied yarn! Maybe winding it into a cake, then plying by using the outside and inside of the cake. . . hmmm. I'll post pics when I've plied and finished.

The next PS4 project I'll work on/finish is the Corriedale I picked up in Canada this past Summer. I visited several yarn shops, and got fiber at each. I don't remember where I got this particular bag of fiber, but it was in Canada, which is "north" of me, so fits in with PS4's cardinal directions bit.

:O)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to mail all my roving home and that way I don't have to worry about it taking up space in my suitcase...that way I can spin spin spin while I'm home...oh, and learn to ply!

6:03 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

In the issue of Spin-off that came in the mail yesterday, they did a big piece on the 'maine mitts' in all different kinds of handspun. I think 80 yards would be just enough... and beautiful.
Nice spinning!

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home