Saturday, September 01, 2007

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures

This morning, I was taking a picture of my current knitting project - a test knit (!) for Glampyre Knits (Stephanie Japel). It's really coming along nice, and knitting up so quickly! I realized I hadn't taken any progress pictures of it yet, and since I'm planning on finishing it this weekend so I can cast on for a new stole, I figured I'd better get hoopin'!

So, without further ado, here's what I've been working on:


I'm using Brown Sheep's Cotton Fleece in Provincial Rose and I'm thinkin' I really need to get more of this yarn for my stash! I's very lovely - drapes beautifully, and seems warm enough without being stifling. Then again, I'm always cold, so we'll have to actually wear it to test out the warmth factor. It is 80% cotton, 20% merino wool.

So, anyway - while I was fiddling with the camera, I realized I had never downloaded and shown the blog the pictures from the summer. What a bad blogger I am!

Without further ado, I bring you - WHAT THE HECK I'VE BEEN UP TO THIS SUMMER!

This is actually The Boy this Spring in Williamsburg, but the picture is so dang cute, I had to (re)post it!


And, the Genius shot is always a winner, in my book. This was the beginning of the Summer, if you recall. If you don't, it's at the Kitty Hawk/Wright Brother's Memorial in Kitty Hawk, NC. This started out our Summer O Fun.

This was also in NC, but further up the beach - at the Currituck Lighthouse. The Boy just so happens to be a pretty good photographer. This is one of several shots he took of the three ladies in his life, waiting outside the lighthouse for our chance to climb the stairs. We all made it safe and sound. That's me on the left, my mom in the middle, and my sister on the right. Forgive us, for we have vacation hair - which means I wash the chlorine out of it, then put gel in it, put on a headband, and forget about it. It usually works better when what you put in is actually HAIR GEL, and not just aloe vera gel. Reading is fundamental. :O)


Here's a shot of The Boy, my cousin Darion (junior Marine), and myself at my brother-in-law's Marine Corps graduation. I would tell you what he was graduating from, but, then I'd have to kill you. Sorry. We are very proud of him, though.

And the Summer was not complete without the book launch party for the last Harry Potter book. The city of Alexandria, Virginia had a nice little shindig all up and down the main drag. They turned it into Diagon Alley, and there was a lot going on. The only thing was, they somehow grossly underestimated the popularity of the idea (what they were smokin' I don't know, I mean, this is only the 7th book to come out. Did they not get it the first six times that the book launches are a HUGE DEAL??? They ran out of most things before we got there. Not a big deal for me, I'm a big girl and all, but there were lots and lots of disappointed little kids who had stayed up late only to be turned away and forced to walk the streets empty handed for several hours waiting for their copy of the book! Sheesh!) It was a nice idea, though. The picture is my sister waiting outside the art gallery that actually carries Mary Grande-Pre prints all the time. They were not sold out. They get the hype. Thank God!


My mother and The Boy outside the 16th Street Baptist Church during our family reunion tour.

My dad inside the church, posing underneath the Wales Window (stained glass window given to the church by the country of Wales after the attack).

This statue was called "Police Dog Attack" and stands in the Civil Rights Memorial Park, right across the street from the church and museum.

My Uncle Butler and Aunt Betty posed in front of the jail statue I told you about - dealt with segregation and stated "I ain't afraid of your jail." and "Segregation is a sin." Amen.

And this is the schoolhouse that was on the site of the picnics and such. This is where my grandmother went to school back in the 1890's. In case you're wondering, my dad is a tad older than my mother, and he was the last child my grandmother had. She had kids for 17 years straight, so that number is correct. 1890's!!!

And last but not least, here's the boy outside the dolphin tank at the Baltimore Aquarium. Notice how close we are? Yeah. Mommy finally got talked into sitting in the splash zone. I managed to talk him into the last row of the splash zone, and we got thoroughly soaked from the knees down. He was very happy.


And I think that about does it for us. Besides many many hours logged in at the pools, etc. I think we had a pretty busy Summer. I hope The Boy had fun!

5 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Wow! What a great summer you had. The Boy looks so happy in every photo.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Dor said...

Hi Heather,

Thanks for the comment on my baby food.

Singapore and USA is so FAR apart but that's the wonders of blogging...it connects people =)

I see you have a great summer! I really miss USA; was there for a period of 6 months before. I missed Williamburg too, been there 3 times and it the most beautiful place I ever been too...love the apple cinder and ginger bread.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

whew! You were busy! Everyone looks very happy, too. Good luck with the school year!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Rani said...

Cool pics! How amazing to see the schoolhouse your grandmother went to. I am a huge 'family history' buff. My family were Icelanders who settled in North Dakota.

Your boy is very handsome!

Bubblie

8:04 AM  
Blogger Rani said...

And how the heck are the first few days at school?! How many kids do you have in your class? Are you teaching AM/PM or is it an all day Kindergarten? Enjoy those little pip-squeeks.

Hope The Boy is also enjoying being back to 'work'!
Bubblie

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home