Thursday, November 22, 2007

Oh Boy.

First, let me say HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone! I really do love this holiday. Mostly. This year, however, The Boy is with his dad, I'm having a crappy school year, and I'm a bit bummed. What I am looking forward to is knitting A BUNCH since the house will be relatively quiet and the "company" I would have - in any form - is out of town! And, of course, holiday shopping tomorrow. I don't plan to leave the house. QVC and Amazon are going to be my best buds this year! After seeing the 4am opening times of different retailers, I'm boycotting the stores in support of all those retail employess (a team I used to be a member of) who will be cursing this day! That's just crazy.

So, The Boy and I did make the most of our Day-Before-Thanksgiving, which we got to spend together thanks to schools being closed! We trekked out to Calvert Cliffs State Park for a hike to the beach. I hadn't been to this park since I was in college at The University of Maryland, and man, did my mind forget a lot of it! This is a great state park way way down in southern Maryland that has trails you can hike, cliffs that used to be open for exploring (now closed due to landslides), and a beach you can walk while pretending NOT to see the nuclear power plant off in the distance! Ack! So glad The Boy didn't ask too many questions about that. I just told him it was a "power plant." End of story. Here's some pics:

You get to have fun on this beach:

After you walk down this trail:

Just to clarify, you have to walk 1.8 miles down that trail. The Boy almost didn't make it. Just when we were getting really weary, we saw the water through the trees, and he perked right up. We played on the beach for a while (on a good day, you can find fossilized sharks teeth - we think we found one. Pics to follow), then decided to head back before either of us had to use the bathroom. Aw, who'm I kidding, The Boy got to use a tree as a potty spot, which he LOVES to do. Boys!

On the way back, we stopped at each bench we saw along the marked trail, and even went out into the marsh/bog pier along the way. I'd have taken pics, but I was afraid of losing my phone in the marsh, seeing as how my camera really DIED just after we hit the trail!

When we got back to the main part of the park, we had fun playing on the recycled tire playground. Excellent idea for used tires, I think! Then, we had a mishap and decided it was time to hit the road for home.

All in all it was a fun day, and man, did we sleep good. Creative sleeping pill for a busy 5-year old? 3 1/2 mile hike on a lovely Fall day. Gotta love the unexpected 70 degree weather to help things out!

So, this year, I'm thankful for the lovely day we got to spend together. I'm really worried about the day when he's too old for the mother/son adventures we love to cook up!

Here's the knitting I plan to do while he's away this weekend:

Surprise "Skater Boy" sweater, inspired by Gay's beautiful present to her grandson.

And Juliet, the second knit-along for the Sexy Knitters club KAL currently going on. I'm hoping to finish by the end of the month and shock even myself!

Happy Turkey Day to all!

:O)

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I keep hoping that if we do it right, they won't know that they aren't supposed to be hanging out with us and having adventures when they are 16...

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home