Monday, May 08, 2006

Oh. My. Goodness!

How to describe this? I really love the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival! And they didn't really have to show their appreciation to me by having it on my birthday this year. Gee, thanks, you shouldn't have. . . okay, you should! Thanks!

I had such a good time. It probably would have been better if I actually had time to stop and meet up with my Maryland Meetup crew (unfortunately, I had to leave early due to an impending and looooooong overdue appointment with the hairdresser). But as far as it goes - when you are at a fiber festival such as this, mean people are banned at the front gate, so everyone's your friend anyway!

I talked with so many people, laughed at the humongous lines with fellow shoppers at the Little Barn booth, stood in line sweating and clutching hordes of yarn at said booth (thankfully, those thoughtful people at the Little Barn had the brilliant idea to point a humongous fan directly on the line! Or was the line drawn to the puff of air from that fan??), had reinforcing yarn questions answered by total strangers (fellow knitting lovers), and discussed the possibilities of knitting socks in basically whatever yarn you desired at Ellen's 1/2 Pint with - again - perfect strangers! I even convinced that perfect stranger to abandon the "cashmere" bin at said booth and go around the corner to check out the AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL SOCK YARN at Ellen's 1/2 Pint Farms! Wonderful.

Can I just say - I went to this event strapped with $170 of birthday money (my family knows I love to blow all my birthday cash at MDS&W), AND, I was very, very, very tempted to spend all of that money at Ellen's 1/2 Pint on that unbelievably gorgeous sock yarn! I mean What the H#@&? Were they divinely inspired at that place when they dyed this stuff? What about when they spun it? I mean - HELLO! I bought a hank of sock yarn in the sunniest colors (I think it's even called "Blazing Sunshine" - divine!) - yellows, oranges, peaches, and golds, and it's 475 yards of 50% wool (soft as can be) and 50% tencel. This stuff shines like it was the sun itself. I. can't. wait. to knit this into some yummy socks. And then wear them all over creation! I was in heaven! I think I spent almost an hour in that booth, drooling over the yarns. This thought went through my mind several times: "I've got how much cash? And how much did I plan to spend of my own money anyway? I could easily get away with buying all 5 of these skeins. Who needs to make a decision here? Get them all!!!" Fortunately, sanity won over that insane streak, and I think I made out like a bandit overall, for my birthday money and "planned" cash spending. Check it out below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home