Monday, May 08, 2006

SP8 Questionnaire!

SP8 is about to start! Wish I'd been in the group that got their info this past week so that I could do some shopping at MD Sheep and Wool! That would have been great. Then again, maybe I can blame that HUGE stash enhancing trip on stocking up for my Secret Pal! Yeah, that's the ticket . . .!!!

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? Hmm, favorites – Shaefer yarns, and soft things like alpaca, silk, mohair, merino, etc. I am very sensitive to wool fibers next to my skin, so I like the softer ones, or the blends. Besides 100% acrylic (necessary only for some baby items), I don’t have any that I absolutely don’t like. I’m up for trying new things as well – I don’t know everything, right?

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have an interchangeable set that I use to knit bigger items on, so that’s stored in it’s own case when not in use. My double points for socks are kept in their cards or banded together if the card wears out, and stashed in a pretty storage box that sits next to my couch. It is designed just for knitters to keep yarn and notions in.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I have been knitting for about 7 years, I think. I consider myself an intermediate to advanced knitter. I still get intimidated by long, complicated sets of directions. I have knit socks, sweaters, hats, shawls, baby items galore, a blanket or two, and have even tried FairIsle.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? I am starting two wish lists on my blog once I figure out how. One list will be knitting related, the other will deal with teaching supplies/goodies! I have a bunch of sites bookmarked, but just need to sit down and figure out how to create the lists.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Lavender

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I’m training my sweet tooth to behave since I’m trying to lose a significant portion of myself! I keep telling myself “I hate candy. Blech!” It may be working.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I love scrap-booking. Another thing to do when I find the time. HA HA. I also have done cross-stitch in the past, but don’t make time for it any more since I find knitting to be so much more practical! I do not spin.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I’m a jazz fan at heart. I like (okay, love) Cassandra Wilson, Joshua Redmond, and Rick Braun. As for contemporary music, Heather Headley, Joss Stone, Jill Scott, etc. My computer does MP3/CDs.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? My favorite color is red. Close second is green. I knit with green a lot! I’m a more earth-tone type of person – greens/browns, deep colors like purple, navy blue, and deep reds are what I pick out most often.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? My family situation, huh? Sounds scandalous! I am a divorced mother of a four year old son named Zachary. He is the love of my life!

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yes to the scarves, hats and ponchos. No to mittens.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? It seems I go through moods with my knitting. Socks are always fun and scarves are so practical. I enjoy charity knitting (hats/chemo caps for cancer patients). Also shawls (lace), and I seem to really love quick knits. Lately I’ve had fun knitting with the Sexy Knitters and doing quick things like the Picolvoli and Somewhat Cowl. I never knew knitting a sweater could go so quickly!

13. What are you knitting right now? HA! My knittingADD has me working on several things at once. 1) Simple Cardigan from Debbie Bliss in natural brown alpaca, 2) the Somewhat Cowl in a cotton-wool blend from Cestari yarns (Chester Farms), 3) the Sixth Sense socks from my knitter’s group in a cotton sock yarn that I’ve never tried before (Sockotta), and 4) finishing up a lace scarf from the Lavish Lace book in a Shaeffer Yarns silk/wool blend that is so lovely! I have plans for much more, but am forcing myself to finish up at least one or two of these projects before casting on anything else!

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Definitely

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I prefer to use circular needles for just about everything. I knit socks on a size 3 circular most times, but also do them on wooden DPNs when using a pattern different from my “standard” one. Usually wood is my first choice, but my interchangeable set is aluminum and I love them. Also the circulars I use for socks are aluminum, so really I’m not picky. I do love the beautiful wooden needles, but I’m not too much of a needle snob. I knit with what’s around to get the job done!

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? My grandmother has a swift I can use to help wind yarn when needed. I like to wind my yarn into center pull balls myself, although my LYS will wind the balls for me if I purchase through them, and it’s wonderful to have things so neat and tidy!

17. How did you learn to knit? My mother taught me when I was a teenager. I knit half a sweater at that time. I picked the needles up again about 7 years ago – when I was about to be married, and haven’t put them down since.

18. How old is your oldest UFO? Sadly, about 3 years old. It’s a PI shawl from Elizabeth Zimmerman’s creation. I was tweaking it and apparently got carried away. Now it’s sitting around intimidating me into thinking that I will never be able to figure it out. I’m letting it have it’s way for now.

19. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas

20. Is there anything that you collect? Yarn. I seem to have a passion for collecting hand-dyed sock yarn in unusual colorways.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I really want The Opinionated Knitter from Elizabeth Zimmerman. I love her books. They give you so much insight. I have let my Interweave Knits and Knitters subscriptions run out since I didn’t really have time to read them. I also want to try knitting with linen yarn. I always see great looking swatches and samples, but worry because it always seems so stiff and uncomfortable on the skein/ball. Koigu wool is also very yummy, but causes me much grief because I can never decide on a colorway!

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Cables and felting.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I love knitting socks. My foot is a size 9 medium.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) May 6th! :O) Happy Birthday to me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home